There was a danger call from the Provincial Government on June 7 2019 that all of the Gulf Islands and Vancouver Island were now classified as Stage 3 water restrictions. This bypassed many water utilities, and is a very significant action.
Read more at these links:
Quick and simple actions you can take.
- Limit outdoor watering.
- Do not water during the heat of the day or when it is windy.
- Consider planting drought-tolerant vegetation.
- Take shorter showers.
- Do not leave the tap running.
- Install water-efficient showerheads, taps and toilets.
On the farm:
- Implement an irrigation scheduling program using real-time weather data.
- Schedule irrigation to match crop needs and soil storage capacity.
- Improve water-system efficiencies and check for leaks.
- Focus on high-value crops and livestock.
- Tools to help you –
- Reduce non-essential water use.
- Recycle water used in industrial operations.
- Use water-efficient methods and equipment.
If you are thinking of rainwater harvesting we are happy to help, you will need to plan now to collect by the end of winter.